Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Johnathon Swift...AKA Baby Eater

About a minute or two into after listening to Mr. Kunkle read a piece by Johnathon Swift, I caught on to the main argument of the essay. Frankly, it was disgusting! I couldn't believe some of his crazy ideas and statements that he made. Who would ever want to wear gloves or boots that originated from baby skin! I think that I'd heave if I even saw a pair. EW! Despite the grotesque-ness of the article, the statement "Baby skin would always be in season, but especially in March" really made me laugh. It just sounded so ludicrous! Unfortunately, I was a little too slow to catch on to his whole "satirical" nature of the essay. I figured that he was some psycho lunatic that had a craving for babies at the time. Nevertheless, it really made my day more, well, interesting.

Swift did make a valid point, though. At the time there were so many poverty-stricken women desperately trying to support a handful of children. It seemed that no matter what, they'd be dealt a life of poverty and suffering. It makes sense that if you have an abundance of something and you're lacking in money, it would be smart to sell it! However, it's DEFINITELY unethical to sell, eat, or wear babies. I suggest selling a baseball card collection or some vintage furniture.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, you really missed the satire? You need to have an ear for that kind of thing.

    Certainly his argument is unethical, but that's what he's trying to get across: people will do outrageous things to get out of terrible situations. It also is important that he addresses the ridiculousness of some of the things people need to do to get out of opression and poverty in England.

    ReplyDelete