Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Importance of Good Health

Think of health in any way you want, it could be physical health, mental health, intellectual health, and overall health. Without your health, it's difficult to make it through the day. I've seen so many examples of poor health lately that it's been bringing me down (even though all aspects of my health are doing just fine). I thought I should get the message out and put in my two cents.

In our current book The Things They Carried, it seems to me that the soldiers are not in perfect health. They are fighting in a foreign land in a place filled with diseases (malaria, etc.) and also getting wounded or worse, killed, every day. Once soldiers return home from war, they are very likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder that will impair with their lives (Thank you, AP Psych). Clearly, war is not good for the physical or mental health of the young men and women of America.

It seems if the small fishbowl formally known as McFarland High School is fighting a war of its own: The Swine Flu! It's a rare occasion to have every single student present in a classroom because of this terrible illness. Even in our seven person AP Comp class, we usually have at least one person gone! Stock up on sanitizer everyone and wash those hands!!

On Sunday, a person who I am lucky enough to call my best friend had to go to the hospital. This person is still there three days later. I went to visit last night (as I'll continue to do every night), and it broke my heart. More than anything, my friend needs to be healthy. I've realized that there are so many unhealthy people surrounding me and in the news that I should be truly grateful for how healthy I am.

2 comments:

  1. "fishbowl formally known as McFarland High School"--Awesome!
    It's pretty crazy all the stuff that's out there right now. Back when we started hearing about swine flu, I was always thinking, "Oh, it's not going to come and affect me." Now that people I'm around regularly have/had it, I'm getting kind of scared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with what you and Andrew had to say. The swine flu talk is everywhere today. I would have never thought it might actually affect me. This was also relevant to our class because one of the choice essays we read had to do with the health problem of obesity in the country.

    ReplyDelete