Monday, November 2, 2009

Final Thoughts on AP Composition

The end of the quarter is always bittersweet. It's always exciting to get new classes, but sad to reminisce on all of the fun times you've had in your current classes. Just a warning, this post is going to be random and include little blurbs on my opinions, etc.

My favorite memory (along with the rest of the class I'm sure) is when the one and only Gus Kunkle came to visit us! Mr.Kunkle if you're reading this, please bring Gus back so we can see him again! He was the cutest little kid I've ever met. That should mean a lot coming from me (the kid hater). haha

Initally, I really enjoyed reading The Things They Carried. However, I have a different opinion now. It is still very saddening to hear the effects that have lasted on the soldiers after many decades, but frankly, I'm getting tired of it. I understand the pain they've gone through, but Tim O'Brien doesn't need to keep dragging it out. I've noticed that he likes to repeat certain stories OVER AND OVER again. I'm not a big fan of redundancy, so this is slowly getting on my nerves. The first half of the book, I have to admit, was very very well-written and enjoyable to read.

I hope that I won't lose any of the valuable vocabulary, reading, and writing skills by not having this class for a whole quarter. I feel that I made some progress in the vocab & reading department, but not so much the writing portion. (Kunk, you'll read about this in my portfolio.) I don't really know where my writing is going at this point, but hopefully it's in the right direction.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah I agree with how far my writing has come. I understand more when I read and I know more vocabulary words, but I don't really think my writing has improved very much (judging by grades, they haven't really improved at all :/). I know that AP Comp isn't over, though, so I'm really hoping that next quarter is focused a lot more on improving my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Taylor. I spent this quarter really focused on the vocab and close reading, which I feel I have gotten better at. Next quarter, I'm going to focus much more on the writing portion. And hopefully, I'll be able to retain everything I've learned this quarter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea-very nice blogging this quarter (: i hope we have the same ap comp in quarter three. other than that, i agree with everything you have posted, you are beautifully talented in the writing department (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you on the book, and how it was redundant. That got annoying for me too, especially at the beginning--the weights and lists of items was way too repetitive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely bittersweet. I can agree on the understanding and vocabulary points, so I hope next quarter focuses more on style and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete