Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The N-Word

Last night I read/annotated this personal narrative written by a black woman professor. I found parts of her story fascinating to read, and it made me feel sorry for her at times. Obviously, I've never had the experience of growing up as a person of color and experiencing racism, but belive me, I wouldn't want to have to endure it. Bernard obviously has a lot of strength to not let harsh remarks (including the N-Word) leave a chip on her shoulder. I admire this strength in her, partly because I'm lacking in it.

I think I was probably around 10 years old the first time I heard the "N-Word." Growing up in McFarland (a mainly all-white town), I was never really around African Americans. I do belive that I was in school when I learned about it for the first time. The term confused me, mostly because I didn't understand why anyone could call another human being such a harsh name! I'm not one that's fond of swearing or saying anything cruel, so I can't remember a time when I've actually said the word. I've tried to avoid it at all costs, even if I'm in a room with all white people. I just don't feel comfortable saying it. So I understand where Bernard is coming from, because I certainly wouldn't want anyone to call me such a name!

3 comments:

  1. I hate when people use that word. when my friends use it I just can't stand

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember hearing that word for the first time, and I had no idea what it meant. McFarland truly is a giant "bubble"! I read this essay last night as well and found it extremely inspirational that she graduated from Yale with a PhD. :) Good for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can certainly identify with you on that word. It makes me cringe. Some of my family is black, and I wonder about racism and the n-word in their lives.

    However, Bernard is a great example of overcoming such attitudes. I'm glad you mentioned that.

    ReplyDelete