Friday, March 19, 2010

Love on Maher Avenue

After Mr.Kunkle gave his somewhat inspirational story about his grandfather's spring factory, I was kind of excited to write a blog post about my own interesting family story. This tale may not be as exciting, actually it sounds like it could be another chick flick movie, but I think it's adorable, to say the least.

It all started on Maher Avenue. My mother lived at one end, and my father at the other. They "knew" each other from a very young age. My dad's cousin lived behind my mom, so he'd constantly be playing football/soccer, etc. right in her backyard! My parents weren't really friends, but they must have admired each other from afar. Their childhood went something like this, until they reached high school.

To put it mildly, my dad was dirtbikin' hippie stud by the time he reached high school. If you're wondering where I get my beautiful blonde locks from, just look at him! ha. My mom was the good girl (stellar G.P.A, goody two-shoes), and she was also the study hall monitor. My parents didn't hang out in the same clique, but they got to know each other more in study hall. Since my mom was in charge of the attendance and she thought my dad was smokin' hott, she told him that he didn't have to come to school for study hall and she'd still mark him present. After a week or two of him not showing up, my mom felt like an idiot for telling him NOT to come because then she couldn't stare at his gorgeous face!

Eventually, my mom quit being a study hall monitor and spent her study halls following my dad around. They frequently went on dates during open campus to Taco John's (they went to good ol' LaFollette) and eating 33 cent tacos, because they were apparently really cheap. They didn't have too serious of a relationship in high school, but everything changed once my dad graduated.

My parents took a stronger interest in each other as the years went on, and after breaking up and getting back together, they realized how happy they were together and BOOM! they got married. Now they have a happy life and we're the perfect family :) It's just crazy to think they've known each other since like age 7, and they ended up becoming soulmates. It's precious, actually.

I hope that happens to me someday. Oh wait, it kind of is. I think I'm having a slight repeat of my parents history.

I lived on Oakridge Street in Madison until I was three. My best friend was this boy named Connor that lived two houses down. We played all the time and our families were super good friends. But then I moved to McFarland, and he moved to Monona Grove. His parents worked in the Madison school district, so they kept in touch. However, I didn't see Connor for at least 10 years. As fate would have it, he came in with his mom to Buffalo Wild Wings when I was working, and I recognized her from their family Christmas cards. Connor looked completely different though, probably because he wasn't three anymore! We started to talk and now we are kind of dating, so maybe this will end up just like my parents neighborhood love story!

1 comment:

  1. chels!
    this is prec.
    i have no other words for you except I LOVE THE MAMMOTH riders. <--thats what their called right?
    bahaa i love it.

    it really is a cute story, except for the fact i havent seen your family in FOREVER.

    good post (:

    p.s. good luck with connor, i must meet him.

    ReplyDelete